Professional Interests / Specialties:
Having worked through several car accidents and deaths of family members, I understand how important it is to use my strengths to get through the rough times. I can help you to use your strengths and realize that you are resilient. You are the expert on yourself, and I am your guide through the process of therapy.
“One of the things that sets me apart from other therapists is that I see people as stuck – not broken. I help you realize the strengths you already have, for they have helped you get through to where you are today!”
Together, we work toward setting specific, measurable and realistic goals. Since the emphasis is on where you are now and reaching your goal, you feel less stuck in the past and more empowered and hopeful. Judgement is removed from the process since things are looked at from your point of view of whether or not things are working for you.
Three principles will guide our work together:
- Helping you feel validated in your experience
- Helping you shift your perception of the problem, if desired
- Helping you recognize your resources and expertise and using these to accomplish your goals
Since the emphasis is on where you are now and getting to the goal, you may feel:
- Less stuck in the past
- More empowered
- Openly accepted
I Have Extensive Therapy Expertise in:
- Helping couples and families (including stepfamilies) enhance communication
- Coaching parents and kids to understand and develop respectful, helpful boundaries
- Empowering parents and kids to have the best relationship possible
- Using Brainspotting and EMDR to overcome the effects of trauma and enhance one’s inherent strengths
- Working with adults and kids ages 8 and up to help them best manage life’s challenges (including depression and anxiety)
- Supporting families and caregivers of people with chronic physical and/or mental illness to help them flourish in the face of illness and injury
- Guiding parents going through a divorce to develop a working relationship so they can effectively parent their kids
- Helping people understand the effects of mild traumatic brain injury and validate their experience, learn strategies to work through the effects of the injury, navigate the healthcare system, and find resources
For over 20 years, I have specialized in helping individuals, couples and families live well with illness or injury (including minor traumatic brain injury); empowering clients by working through fear and crisis, enhancing parenting skills, improving communication and more.
I have been married for over 28 years (to the same man). My parents have been married for over 60 years and raised 2 kids. Having worked through the ups and downs in my relationship and having witnessed the challenges in my parents’ marriage, plus all my years of experience helping others work through their issues, I have a unique insight into the problems you face.
I have an M.A. in Counseling Psychology with an emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy from the University of Colorado earned in 1995 and a B.S. in Finance and Accounting from the University of Colorado earned in 1984. I have trained in Brainspotting Levels 1,2, 3, David Grand’s Intensive, Lisa Schwartz’s Resource Brainspotting and Generational Brainspotting. At the time of this writing, I am one of approximately 400 people in the world who have done this level of training. I have also have earned EMDR Levels 1 & 2 Certification. In addition, I have trained in the Emotionally Focused Therapy model’s 4 day externship training.
Professional Affiliations / Activities:
- American Association of Marriage & Family Therapy, Clinical Fellow
- EMDR/Brainspotting Therapist Network
- Rocky Mountain Brainspotting Institute
- ICEEFT (International Centre for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy)
Current Community Involvement
- American Red Cross – volunteer on Disaster Mental Health team
- Community choir, singing member and member of management committee
- Board member and committee member in my faith community
- Who’s Who in American Colleges and Universities
- Who’s Who in the West
- Outstanding Young Woman of the Year
- Project of the Year – Boulder Jaycees
- Outstanding Program Manager – Colorado Jaycees
- Outstanding Performance in Community Service – Cherry Creek Jaycees
Call me at (303) 444-2003 to make an appointment or for more information.